Join the movement to stop the EU’s greenwashing of gas and nuclear energy!
While the world looks in the direction of war, the EU is sneakily introducing a taxonomy labelling nuclear and gas energy as ‘sustainable’. Let’s be clear: they can neither serve the green transition, nor be intermediary solutions to our crisis.
Nuclear energy is a starting point for nuclear weapons, and it’s unreliable, expensive, dangerous and slow to install. And gas is finite, destructive, and contributes to the problem that the Commission claims to want to solve. Experts and people across Europe who oppose this destructive taxonomy all depend on politicians to stop it in its tracks.
But we are not powerless. Follow the very simple steps below to stop the greenwashing before it’s too late.
Five actions to stop the greenwashing!
1.Email Your MEP
Select your country and click ‘submit’ to find your MEP’s official email address. Then click the same button to send them a prepared message urging them to oppose this.
We encourage you to personalise your message, and please remain respectful in your tone!
Trouble with the template email? Copy and paste it from here.
2.Sign our petition
Our petition demands the removal of nuclear power and fossil gas from the EU Taxonomy for Sustainable Investments, and puts forward an alternative proposal:
- identifying environmentally-destructive activities (seen through a spectrum of “greenness/brownness” rather than a binary “good/bad” model) and ensuring that companies engaged in them face direct impacts on their finances;
- looking more holistically at the climate and environmental impacts of business activities; punishing companies that seem to be contributing to the green transition but are actually engaged in environmental degradation.
Make yourself heard on Twitter! Click on the button to use our template tweet to the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen) – but feel free to compose your own message and send it to other people too!
4.Donate to stop the greenwashing
To keep this campaign going, we will need funds. Your donation will help pay for:
- an organiser to coordinate the campaign
- advertising on social media to get the word out
- leaflets and other promotional materials for our street actions
Every euro counts and will be much appreciated.
If you want to be more involved with this campaign and similar actions – JOIN US! We are already on the streets and in various digital spaces, we need you in order to keep spreading the word.